Aubergine is one of my favorite veggie..I keep trying different ways to assimilate aubergine in our daily meal.
I done Aubergine curry but with a twist this time. I Baked the Aubergine first and the aroma of baked aubergine is totally unforgettable. Without tempting anymore, here is the recipe:
- 1 large aubergine
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp kashmiri mirch
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 hot green chillies, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- handful of chopped coriander
- green peas optional..(I like without peas)
Steps to follow:
1) Pierce the aubergines all over with a fork or knife. Insert few cloves inside the slits of aubergine.Pour some oil all over the aubergine. Place it in the center rack of preheated oven at 170 deg for 20 mins. Keep an eye on Aubergine and keep on rotating the sides so that it will be baked evenly and skin has charred.
Allow to cool, then mash the aubergines. Set the flesh aside and discard the skins.
2) Heat the oil in a large pan and add the mustard seeds. When they have popped, add the cumin seeds, asafoetida, garlic, chillies and onions. Cook until the onions are lightly golden.
3) Add the tomatoes. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
3) Add the mashed aubergine, peas (optional) and salt. Mix thoroughly and cook for a further t10-15 minutes.Garnish with chopped coriander.
It can be served with hot chappatis/paranthas and if we have used the puree form of tomato, onion and baked aubergine, then can be used as a dip with exotic breads too.